Friday, March 4, 2011

Seminar!

I have wanted to have Weight Loss Surgery (WLS) for many moons. I first wanted to have it back in my mid-twenties when I first heard about it. The next time I really wanted to have it was when my mother-in-law had it. Nothing came of it - all the people whose opinions I typically respect and listen to - told me NOT to do it. Then about a year ago. I had a big discussion with Stu (my Best friend and husband) and he had me promise to give it 6 months of us really trying to eat healthy and be more active. He lost 90+ pounds...I think I lost maybe 12.

SO this brings us to this past January 2011. I asked our family friend what the name of her doctor was that did her surgery.  She gave me a packet - and that's where my obsession began ;) I called my insurance company and found out WLS IS a covered procedure. I filled out my packet and then began researching everything I could about WLS. I found Youtube have MANY Vlogs about peoples journeys. There are many different websites and forums that have information. 

I decided that I did want WLS and had the talk with Stu. He is truly my best friend. He said that if this is what I wanted to do for ME, then he would support it. I mentioned to my mom who is against it and she at least agreed to go to the seminar with me. My sister - the tall, thin one - however, was very negative and angry when I told her. That is a topic to discuss another day.

Last night was the seminar. I think I want to have the VSG (sleeve) It typically takes 2 months from the day you meet the surgeon to have the surgery. Luckily I called the Michigan Bariatric Institute a while and asked about that time frame - because last night at the seminar all of Dr. Zeni's appointments are booked until the end of May. My appointment is set for Tuesday march 29th at 3:30. SO EXCITED to keep moving on in this adventure.

I know that my mom, sister and now I hear my dad are not supportive of this decision. My sister told my mom she wouldn't speak to me anymore if I had it done. That makes me upset - but I AM THE ONE WHO HAS ALWAYS BEEN FAT!!!!! IT is my body and my life. So WLS here I come....

No comments:

Post a Comment